NUMBERS AND COUNTING
Before Kindergarten a child should be able to:
- Recognize numbers from 1-10.
- Count to ten.
- Count objects in one-to-one correspondence.
- Understand more and less.
IDEAS FOR TEACHING NUMBERS AND COUNTING
1. Get or make flash cards with numbers on them. If you're making your own write out each number on an index car and put a dot to represent how many that number is (1 would have 1 dot etc.). Help the child make the number out of play-doh.
2. Write each number on a separate paper plate. Get a lot of one thing (beans, fish crackers, or make your own clip art photos, shapes, animals etc.) Have your child put the number of your item on the corresponding plate.
3. Write each number on a paper bag. Sort out objects into the bags.
4. Make "blueberry pancakes". Cut circles out of cardboard and with a blue sharpie make dots for each number (one dot on one, two dots on another, three dots on another etc.). These are the blueberries. Make two pancakes with the same number of dots on them. Using a spatual play a memory game. The child flips over two pancakes and if they match they get to keep them. If they don't match the child flips them back over. Play until all of the matches are found. When the child gets older have them count out the dots each time. Younger children will just have fun flipping the "pancakes" over. You can tell them how many dots there are.
5. Count everything with your child. Count the cars in the street, count the leaves on the ground, count the toys as you pick them up, count the pictures on the wall etc. etc.
6. Make FILE FOLDER GAMES for your child that teach numbers and counting.
- Numbers In Bloom (PreschoolPrintables.com)
- Pizza Number Party (PreschoolPrintables.com)
- Snowflake Numbers (PreschoolPrintables.com)
- Watermelon Numbers (PreschoolPrintables.com)
9. Read lots of BOOKS to your child or make your own.
10. Here are more TOYS & GAMES that can help your child learn his numbers.
Kids learn to count with these cute counting bears!
11. For older children here are some MATH activities and games.
- Preschool Math (edhelper.com)
12. Here are some number WORKSHEETS.
- Free Preschool Number and Pre-Math Worksheets (TLSBooks.com)
- Math Readiness and Number Recognition (KidZone.ws)
- Numbers Theme Activity Pages (TeachersandFamilies.com)
- Under 5s Number Activities (underfives.co.uk)
- Under 5s Counting Activities (underfives.co.uk)
13. Here are some COLORING PAGES.
- Count and Color Number 5 (TLSBooks.com)
- Numbers and Math (KidsRCrafty.com)
- Numbers Coloring Pages (coloringbookfun.com)
- Shapes and Numbers Coloring Pages (fisher-price.com)
14. Help your child play ONLINE GAMES.
- Count the Score Number Game (fisher-price.com)
- Learn to Count-Preschool Kids Game (preschoollearningonline.com)
- Kids Learn to Count Game-Dinosaur Count (preschoollearningonline.com)
- Pre K Kids Learn Numbers Game (preschoollearningonline.com)
- Early Math Skills (kidport.com)
- Involving Mathmatics and Problems (playkidsgames.com)
15. Here are some DVDs about numbers.
16. Here are some more WEBSITES filled with number activities.
- Numbers Printable Activities (First-School.ws)
- Math (KinderPrintables.com)
- Math Games and Ideas (PreschoolEducation.com)
- Math (stormpages.com/cozycottage)
- Counting and Numbers Activity Theme (preschoolrainbow.org)
- Write the Number and Coloring Pages (edhelper.com)
- Numbers and Counting (preschoolrainbow.org)
- Games for Numbers and Counting
- Educational TV Shows for Numbers, Counting and More
- Count the Colors in the TV Stand
- 60 Inch TV Stands
- Resource for TVs
- Numbers Count TV Series